Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Correction to my posts on Emily

I wanted to clarify to everyone (like my mom commented) that yes Emily’s favorite position to sleep is on her belly it is not her reg sleeping position, she is swaddled and sleeps on her back at night. I also want people to know I am very careful when she is on her belly. I have a monitor (I recommend it to anyone having a baby!) it’s an Angel Care monitor and it detects a baby’s breathing  and after 15 seconds of no movement it beeps as a warning and if still nothing after 5 more seconds it beeps a loud alarm until you turn it off. It works wonderfully as long as its properly set up (doesn’t work in playpens). I was always very paranoid since Ethan stopped breathing while in the hospital after birth. Thankfully he was in the nursery or he wouldn’t be here with us because I was sleeping when he did it!

So to all those worried. I am VERY cautious with my babies sleeping. Emily mainly sleeps on her back except when being held or monitored closely by me the monitor and Ethan’s noise doesn’t allow for deep sleeping during the day anyway!

Thanks for any concern!

Thank you mom for pointing that out so I could clarify!

3 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

Perfect clarification! :-)

Jill said...

Okay, well I'M the horrible mother that let my babies sleep on their bellies. I always put them on their sides, because they screamed on their backs. They always seemed to maneuver onto their bellies though. And I was sleep deprived enough to leave them. I guess they survived. They still both will only sleep on their bellies.
So, I'm glad that you are a better mom than I was! ;) And that moniter sounds quite high tech!

The Bay A's said...

Actually your baby needs to get belly time otherwise the back of their head will go flat (I truly mean that it happened to my cousin). Anyways most of us were raised sleeping on our tummies. My kids have always slept on their tummies and no issues have arisen. The main concern is pillows and blankets, if you have too much in the bed it doesn't matter how the baby is sleeping sids is a concern. However sids usually also occurs more frequently in poverty stricken areas. You are not by any means a bad mother if you let your child sleep on their tummy, so don't worry about what other people think, just make sure you are comfortable with how you are raising your kids.