Friday, February 8, 2008

Ear Ear Ear....

Don't read if you have a weak stomach, although I'm not going to get overly descriptive it still might gross some people out.

Well all was well wed like I said, Ethan felt better and no fever ALL day and night, But that was short lived, Thursday morning was also good, but by Thursday afternoon things began to go down hill again, Ethan began getting his 103 fever again, began getting fussy and crying and to top it off his ear began to ooze which was more watery and looked like watery ear wax (we figured the drops were just collecting wax and draining back out)Nope, Thursday night Ethan was woken up after being asleep for 2 hours SCREAMING in pain. and his pillow, head and shirt was wet from his ear draining ALOT. Well now here it is Friday and although he didn't have a fever during the day he's warmed up just a bit this evening, although he's not complaining about his ear hurting so far, but now the once watery drainage has turned a milky yellowish color and is thick. I called the doc again, they say they don't worry too much since he's already on the oral antibiotics but they did go ahead an call a prescription in for antibiotic ear drops, well when I went to pick them up and they were $96 WITH INSURANCE!! I couldn't believe it! I couldn't put out the money. We have already spent over $100 in the last week on medical for this ear, so I left the pharmacy and once again called the after hours nurse (since once again they pediatric center was closed for the day) and being the pest I've been (since I've called about 1/2 a dozen times in the past few days) told them my predicament and asked them to PLEASE see if there is something cheaper that will do the same thing! I mean if it really came down to it we'll find the money but I want to see if there is something a bit more in our price range. I asked the nurse and she said it was ok that we don't have them right now and she'll get with the doc to see what else can be used. I would never put Ethan's hearing at risk, I'd pay twice that if it was told that he had to have it and it's the only thing there was and that if he didn't have it his hearing would be in jeopardy. But I do want to make sure it's not the only thing out there. I can't imagine it being the only thing of it's kind. I can't believe how much they have prescriptions for, I'll bet the bottle didn't even have an ounce of liquid in it and they want 100 bucks for it. Unbelievable. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow!

4 comments:

Linda and Dave Browne said...

That's a crime for less than an ounce! Liquid gold!

Jill said...

Poor baby! I can't believe he's STILL sick! I can't believe what they can charge for some prescriprions! I've had one of those too. A tiny little tube of cream for $90. Outrageous! Hope he's doing better by tomorrow!

Lindsey said...

you paid what for an ounce? That is aweful!! but you gotta do what you gotta do....that is just robbery:) hope he is feeling better....poor guy, I hate ear pain!

Lindsey said...

maybe the bottle has gold in the bottom....